Estimated reading time: 2 minutes
Hendersonville is located in the southern mountains of western North Carolina, where it is lovingly known as “The City of Four Seasons.”
The city was chartered in 1847 as the county seat of Henderson County North Carolina. The city and county are named for Leanord Henderson, the former Chief Justice Of North Carolina Supreme Court.
Chief Justice Leonard Henderson, who served from 1829 to 1833.
Judge Mitchell King donated 50 acres to establish the town and laid out its 100-foot-wide Main Street.
The Main Street corridor today is home to many restaurants, boutiques, and antique shops.
The 5th Avenue and Druid Hills neighborhoods are also well-known for their historic architecture. The Henderson County Courthouse and City Hall have been recently restored.
The population of Hendersonville, NC, is still of modest size at around 14,000 people.
In 1870, only 278 people resided in the city of Hendersonville. However, by 1890, the population more than quadrupled after a railroad line connected Henderson to Asheville.
Another population boom occurred in the 1990s when the town grew by 43%, during a drastic revitalization of downtown Hendersonville.
After the railroad connected Hendersonville to Asheville, the small farming town took advantage of its new opportunities.
Its agricultural industry of produce and livestock quickly expanded, as well as manufacturing. Henderson was particularly known for brick and furniture manufacturing as its local clay and wood resources were abundant.
Hendersonville’s industry did not rely only on agriculture and manufacturing.
Hendersonville was also a favorite travel spot for tourists to escape to once the railroad made it possible.
Hendersonville’s economy faltered, understandably, during the early to mid-1900s due to the World Wars. But, Hendersonville, NC, has slowly but surely re-established itself as a tourist destination with a strong agricultural and manufacturing foundation.